Benefits of using CBD Skincare products
The use of Cannabidiol (CBD) in health and medical care has become a growing trend, especially over the last decade, and sees no sign of slowing down. CBD has been proven to have many benefits for the body, and research continues to reveal more as time progresses. But what exactly is CBD, and why is it so powerful?
CBD derives from the cannabis plant. There are two main active ingredients in cannabis: Cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis that makes a person “high”, but CBD lacks this effect and is actually federally legal.
The CBD oil is extracted from the cannabis plant and used to make products that can treat pain, anxiety, insomnia, epilepsy, nausea associated with chemotherapy, and more.
The skincare business is one that has made a lot of buzz with the introduction of CBD-infused products. CBD oils have been known to treat a range of skin conditions, including acne, psoriasis, eczema, and chronic dry skin.
Pros and Cons of using CBD skincare treatments
We all want amazing skin, and most of us are willing to try anything to achieve clear, plump, wrinkle-free skin. However, while CBD has been linked to the treatment of many skin conditions, there are still pros and cons to CBD oil in skincare.
- CBD has been known to regulate oil production in the skin. - An overproduction of oil and sebum is one of the major causes of acne breakouts. CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties act on sebocytes - the cells that produce sebum, which helps to reduce and regulate oil production in the skin.
- CBD promotes hydration in the skin. - Not only does it reduce the overproduction of oil, but it also balances the skin to promote hydration. As a result, those with excessively dry skin can also benefit from CBD skincare.
- CBD helps to treat acne. - Many people experience pain, discomfort, and even shame as a result of acne flare-ups. Research has shown that CBD oil’s anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties can reduce and treat acne. Studies have also shown that CBD is effective in treating acne scars.
- Bye-bye wrinkles - Supple, wrinkle-free skin sounds like the ultimate #skingoals. CBD topicals can act in the same way that powerful antioxidants do on the skin. By reducing inflammation and counteracting the damage that free radicals do to the skin, CBD can reduce signs of aging and wrinkles, and brighten the skin.
- CBD topical creams help relieve pain. - We can’t speak enough about the anti-inflammatory benefits of CBD. Topical creams and oils are amazing for localized pain conditions like arthritis and pain associated with sprains and strains.
Unfortunately, not everyone reacts to CBD the same way, and some people can suffer adverse reactions to this ingredient. Although, the research suggests that the majority of persons who have negative responses are those who have consumed CBD-containing products rather than those who have used topical products. Some of the reported reactions include:
- Possible liver damage
- Severe reactions when interacting with other drugs and alcohol
- gastrointestinal problems and changes in appetite
- mood swings, including irritability and irritation
- Possible fertility reduction in males
- Skin irritation and rashes
CBD skincare: All you need to know
CBD skincare is available in the form of oils, lotions, creams, and other topicals. These doses vary based on the spectrum of the oil in the product.
The bottom line is that while CBD products have not yet been FDA approved, there have been many studies and testimonials demonstrating that there are numerous advantages to using these products. From healing long-term chronic skin conditions like psoriasis to helping to bring back the skin’s natural youth, it’s no wonder, so many are rushing to try CBD products for their skin!
*It is always advised to speak with your doctor or dermatologist before starting any new products, and always patch test any skincare product before adding it to your routine.